Everyone’s favorite video-sharing service, Vimeo (sorry YouTube), told us at CES that a new app with native iPad support is on its way and could be available as soon as the end of the month. That’s good news for anyone who has squinted at Vimeo’s fine but small iPhone app and was wondering when an iPad version would be coming along.
We got a preview of the new Vimeo app for the iPad at CES and it looks great. Plus, like the rest of Vimeo’s apps, it will be free.
“On the iPad, it has a totally unique and different user interface,” Vimeo spokesperson Deborah Szajngarten told us. “You can watch a video in a player that’s large and still be browsing other content.”
The app also gets a revamp for the iPhone and both versions will incorporate the Music Store, which is a service that lets you add licensed music to your video clips.
“You can now shoot, edit and upload a complete video to Vimeo from your phone or iPad using the app,” Szajngarten said.
She added that Vimeo is getting close to submitting the app to Apple for review and that it will likely go live in the App Store by late January or early February.
Vimeo also announced at CES that it has launched apps for Android devices, the Amazon Kindle Fire, and Windows phones. More details on those apps in the press release below.
VIMEO EXPANDS ITS MOBILE APPS TO INCLUDE ANDROID AND WINDOWS PHONE
Vimeo Soon To Be Available On Most Smartphones And Tablets
NEW YORK, Jan. 9, 2012 – Vimeo, an operating business of IAC, today announced its Apps for Android, Amazon Kindle Fire, and Windows Phone. The Apps are free to download from the Android Market, Amazon App Store for Android, and Windows Phone Marketplace.
“With the widespread accessibility of high-quality video on mobile devices and high- speed mobile Internet access, people use their mobile devices not only to watch video but to shoot and then upload video to share online,” said Joe Schmitt, lead mobile developer at Vimeo. “With mobile devices making up approximately 15 percent of our site traffic, we recognize the importance of expanding our platforms to allow people to access Vimeo from as many devices as possible.”
Available today, both the Vimeo for Android and Vimeo for Windows Phone Apps enable users to browse and watch the full range of videos on Vimeo, in addition to the ability to like, comment on, or add videos to their Watch Later queue. Personalized access to member’s Inbox, Watch Later list or prior Liked videos is also available in the new beautiful, easy-to-use interfaces.
“Windows Phone is backed by a rich developer ecosystem that continues to build a variety apps and games, like Vimeo, that take advantage of the phone’s unique features and design,” said Todd Brix, senior director, Windows Phone Marketplace, Microsoft Corp. “The new Vimeo app on the Windows phone is a deeply integrated video experience that lets users shoot, upload and share content.”
Android and Windows Phone Vimeo App Features:
• Free to download from the Android Market, Amazon App Store for Android, and Windows Phone Marketplace
• Compatible with all Android devices running Android version 2.3 (Gingerbread) and above, Amazon Fire and Windows Phone devices running Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) and above
• Easily upload your raw footage or previously edited creations in HD or SD
• Pause/resume uploads and get reminded when a video is paused
• Replace existing videos
• Edit titles, descriptions, tags, privacy settings, and credits
• Share videos via Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, WordPress, Email, and SMS
• Watch and manage all your Vimeo videos and download them to your camera roll
• Watch videos from your Vimeo Inbox, Watch Later queue, and videos you like
• Easily like videos, comment on videos, and add videos to your Watch Later queue
• Discover new and interesting videos curated by Vimeo Staff
• Add videos to Groups, Channels, and Albums
• Access stats on daily plays, likes, and comments