We reviewed Nik Software’s photo sharing and enhancement app Snapseed when it came out for the iPad last year and liked it a lot.
In fact, we weren’t the only ones. Apple itself named Snapseed “App of the Year” for the iPad.
The software has been so well received, Nik announced this morning that Snapeed will now also become an application for Mac computers.
The new app, which carries over features from the iPad version, is available now for $19.99 from the Mac App Store.
Nik also announced that a version of Snapseed is now available for Android tablets. The new version will initially be compatible with only NVIDIA Tegra-powered tablets running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) but will expand to other Android tablets later.
More details on the Mac version of Snapseed in the press release below.
Nik Software Brings Snapseed to the Mac
Popular photo editing and sharing app available soon on the Mac App Store
Las Vegas, NV (Photo Marketing Association, Consumer Electronics Show)—January 10, 2012—Leading photography software developer Nik Software (www.niksoftware.com) today announced Snapseed for the Mac. Snapseed is an innovative photo enhancement and sharing app with a powerful suite of imaging filters and tools for anyone, anywhere to transform any image into an extraordinary photo. Designed exclusively for the Mac and available now on the Mac App Store, this new version of Snapseed combines Nik Software’s professional photography tools with its award-winning interface to deliver a powerful new photography app to Mac users.
“We’re thrilled with the success and worldwide recognition of our popular mobile app and are excited to bring the Snapseed experience to Mac users for the first time,” said Michael J. Slater, President and CEO of Nik Software. “By bringing Snapseed to the Mac App Store, we’re able to quickly extend our reach to a worldwide audience of creative amateur photographers while offering our existing mobile users the fully-featured Mac experience they’ve been asking for.”
Anyone can create amazing photos with Snapseed by using its innovative filters and tools, including the company’s revolutionary U Point technology which enables precise selective enhancements to be made to any area of a photo. Snapseed for the Mac is even faster and more powerful, combining filters, textures, and other enhancements, in real-time. One-click adjustments quickly and automatically improve photos. Filters like Grunge, Vintage, Tilt & Shift, and Drama can give any photo a new look.
Snapseed is a new generation of photography software that inspires everyone to enjoy photography. High quality results are now fast, fun, and easy. With this new version of Snapseed, users can capture, enhance, edit, and share their photos via social networks, email and even print in just a few seconds. A video showcasing the power and fun of Snapseed can be viewed at www.snapseed.com.
• Tune Image—Quickly correct photos shot in difficult lighting situations, create depth and vibrancy with Ambience, or adjust White Balance, Saturation, Contrast and more
• Auto Correct—Automatically analyzes your photo and adjusts color and exposure, or you can use the sliders to add or reduce the enhancements
• Control Points—Make precise selections and enhancements in seconds with Nik Software’s revolutionary U Point technology
• Tilt-Shift—Creates a narrow in-focus area designed to simulate depth of field, common in a Miniature Scene look
• Details—Enhances details with traditional sharpening as well as Nik Software’s unique Structure control found in the professional Nik Software product line
• Crop & Straighten—Rotate or straighten with simple slider controls and select from a variety of standard aspect ratios while cropping
• Grunge—Explore styles and textures without limits and give photos a totally unique look
• Drama—Add custom effects to a photo which range from subtle enhancements of textures to wildly creative and artistic effects
• Vintage—Nine unique nostalgic films, plus controls like saturation, textures and vignettes make any photo look like a vintage color film photo from the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s
• Frames—Add unique borders to photos by choosing styles and textures
• Black and White—Give photos a classic look with this darkroom-inspired filter. Select styles, grain, vignettes, and more for a perfectly nostalgic look
• Sharing—Share photos on Facebook and Flickr, email photos, and print them using your home printer
Compatibility, Pricing and Availability
Snapseed is compatible with Mac OS 10.6.8 and 10.7.2 and later. Snapseed will be available in 2012 on the Mac App Store for $19.99 or the equivalent in other currencies.