Leica Camera released the following statement yesterday in response to scattered complaints from photographers that some new SD memory cards were causing problems with Leica’s M9 and M9-P rangefinder cameras.
The statement, posted in full below, is from Stefan Daniel, Leica’s Director Product Management Photo and Jesko von Oeynhausen, Product Manager Leica M-System.
Leica Camera has recently become aware of customers experiencing compatibility issues related to select types of new memory cards when used in the Leica M9. The misbehaviour occurs in very limited cases (<0.1% of total No. of sold M9/M9-P), but because it is associated with the loss of images, we want to point out the potential risk for our customers. Leica’s focus remains first and foremost providing an uncompromised customer experience; therefore we are investigating with highest priority in finding the root cause for this error.
With this information, we would like to give you the latest information on the status. Please read this information carefully to ensure a save photography workflow:
The facts from today’s point of view are:
• Customers report that the camera stops working if shooting serial exposures and view images while others are still in the camera buffer.
• If the fault occured once, the probability that it happens again with the same SD-Card is very high.
• Images can be lost in case of this malfunction and the card can be damaged/destroyed.
• There are no indications that it is a firmware bug in the latest firmware 1.162, so there is no reason to update to an elderly firmware version.
• The M9 is in general compatible with all SDHC cards, but most failure reports are related to San Disk SDHC cards.
Until the solution is found, what can be done if this malfunction occurs?
• If possible, please use cards that worked well in the past, avoid reformatting them, neither in the camera, nor in a PC or Mac.
• If you are forced to use new cards: Use them carefully: try to avoid browsing through the images on the screen while the red LED is blinking.
• In case of malfunction, please stop using the card. If images are lost, they might me recoverable using a special software. Please contact Leica Customer Service for assistance, if needed.
We also started a structured query in the Leica User Forum to get a better overview about the customer’s experience. As soon as we have news on this topic, we will let you know.
Leica Camera AG Stefan Daniel, Director Product Management Photo Jesko von Oeynhausen, Product Manager Leica M-System