Pentax unveiled one of the more unusual looking compact system cameras (CSC) this morning, the Pentax K-01, which was designed by Marc Newson, a well-known industrial designer who has helped create aircraft, furniture, jewelry, and clothing.
Now add cameras to the Australian-born Newson’s list of product designs. The Pentax K-01 is a CSC, so unlike a digital SLR, it has no optical viewfinder or mirror box, which allows it to be smaller while still accepting small interchangeable lenses. It uses a 16-megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor about the same size as what you’d find in an entry-level DSLR
The Pentax K-01 (pronounced “kay- zero-one”) is built with a machined aluminum frame and is available in yellow — Newson’s signature color — along with black and white.
Here are some other key features of the Pentax K-01:
• PENTAX mirrorless body design is compatible with 25+ million Pentax K-mount lenses.
• 3-inch LCD screen with 920,000 dots.
• Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p).
• Sensor-shift Pentax Shake and Dust Reduction system is compatible with every mounted Pentax lens.
• 5 FPS burst mode.
• ISO range of 100-25600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting condition.
• Focus peaking mode.
The Pentax K-01 will be available in March 2012 for $749.95 (body only) and $899.95 (lens kit including new DA 40mm XS) in Marc Newson-designed packaging and with a Newson-designed strap. The smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $249.95.
The Pentax K-01 was announced in advance of the CP+ Imaging show in Japan next week.
More details in the press release below.
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION INTRODUCES PENTAX K-01 DESIGNED BY MARC NEWSON
DENVER, CO February 2, 2012…When is a camera more than a photographer’s tool? The answer is when it’s an object designed by Marc Newson, one of the most acclaimed and influential contemporary designers. PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION introduces the Marc Newson designed PENTAX K-01 (pronounced ‘kay- zero-one’) interchangeable lens camera (ILC).
The new PENTAX K-01 is another bold effort from the manufacturer that is known for pushing camera size, color, durability, and now, design, to the limit. Widely known for designing a wide range of objects from furniture and household products to bicycles, cars, aircraft and yachts, Marc Newson has had collected works displayed in The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City and many other major museums.
The contemporary, timeless K-01 houses a full array of advanced functions and user-friendly features in a camera body with remarkable form and function. The elimination of an optical viewfinder and quick-return mirror gave Newson more freedom in designing the camera body, and the K-01 showcases Newson originality in every detail. Available in black, white and Newson’s signature yellow colors, the K-01 features the designer’s autograph logo stamp on the bottom of each camera.
The famed designer’s touch also is evident in a new smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS interchangeable lens. As the world’s thinnest interchangeable lens, the new 40mm combines with the PENTAX K-01 camera body to deliver a unique ILC system that is perfect for photographers who are as keen on design as they are on performance. Together, the K-01 and 40mm lens system mark the intersection where high technology and high design meet.
Key features of the PENTAX K-01 include:
• Durable machined aluminum frame under a stylish black, white, or yellow exterior.
• PENTAX mirrorless body design is compatible with 25+ million PENTAX K-mount lenses spanning decades.
• Large 16 megapixel APS-C sized CMOS image sensor with low noise image capture and multiple aspect ratios.
• Bright, high resolution 3 inch LCD with 920,000 dots.
• Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features outstanding video capture flexibility.
• Sensor-shift PENTAX Shake and Dust Reduction system is compatible with every mounted PENTAX lens.
• Fast 5 FPS burst mode is ideal for fast-action photography.
• Flexible ISO range of 100-25600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting condition.
• Focus peaking mode provides fast and accurate manual focusing for critical focus applications.
* The world’s thinnest interchangeable lens for lens-interchangeable digital SLR cameras, as of February 1, 2012 (based on PENTAX’s research).
The K-01 will be available in yellow, black and white in March 2012 for $749.95USD (body only) and $899.95USD (lens kit including new DA 40mm XS) in Marc Newson designed packaging and with the Marc Newson designed strap. The smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $249.95 USD.